Cornelius emigrated from the Netherlands to Australia at the age of 18 in 1967, got his practical diploma as a restaurant cook at the Polytechnical College in Sydney, after which he worked his way travelling around the world for many years as a cook in various degrees. His interest for wine he developed during cooking at, and visits to, various wineries in Australia, New Zealand, Argentina, Spain, Italy, France and Germany.
He also travelled to a many of the Greek Islands, of which a two year stay on the island of Kythira. On this island he worked as a fisherman/cook during summer, in the off-season he helped tending small private vineyards.
Back in the Netherlands, he graduated for Registered Oenologist and Liquorist at the Dutch Wine Academy and completed a course in wine business administration. He attended several wine seminars in Geisenheim (German Wine Academy), Marbella (Wine academy of Spain), Beaune (Institut d’Oenologie), Lissabon (Wines of Portugal) and Piemonte (Italian Culinary Institute for Foreigners).
Cornelius succesfully managed his own company in The Hague until 2011: Savoir Vivre, specializing in wine-courses, cooking workshops, organising wine-events, writing about wine & food and guiding wine-travels.
Since September 2011 he started the Project Greek Wines, consisting of:
1. GrapeRover: an interactive winesite in the English language for unknown grape varieties / their wines, food & culture, containing (and regularly updated):
– descriptions of 250+ Greek wineries (150, so far, visited by GrapeRover)
– reviews + ratings of approx. 1000 Greek quality wines (tasted by GrapeRover)description of Greek grape varieties (approx. 100).
– link-backs to the official websites of the wineries.
– link to prices and retailers worldwide (http://www.wine-searcher.com/).
– links to food-pairing suggestions (Greek authentic recipe with each reviewed wine).
– links to cultural/historical/touristic backgrounds (wikipedia).
– descriptions & links to top restaurants/bars that serve Greek quality wine.
– quiz about Greek wines, food & culture (under construction).
– internationale agenda of Greek wine events.
– advertisements/messages of subject-related companies.
2. Creating a comprehensive Greek pocket wine guide and App. by the name of “It’s all Greek wine to me”.
Cornelius is planning to publicize both guide and app. in the summer of 2015.